Monday 27 February 2017

Tips on how to find a private room in Germany for International Students

I concluded from my experience that it is common that you can't find a room especially you are international student plus you can't speak German. I am one of them and I also met some International Students who faced the same problem. So I hope this blog is helpful to you and somehow, give you some hope in looking for a room. 

I was very excited when I received the admission letter from University of Goettingen. And obviously the next steps for me were looking for a room, booking for visa application, opening Blocked account and other necessary preparation...

At first, I thought it's very easy to settle my accommodation. Just apply with the Studentenwohnheim(Student Resident) and they will have a room for me. P/s: different universities have their own system, please check ASAP because some take long waiting time. 

Tip #1: Check the procedure for the hostel application even before you register for the course if possible or as soon as you decided to go. In some cases, you can register for a student hostel even before you register for the course in the university.

But I WAS SO SO SO WRONG!! It's not as easy as I thought to get a room in Goettingen because the university has about 30 000 students and the Studentenwohnheim can only accommodate for 4000-5000 students. And my turn for a room was two years. Which mean by the time i got a room, I already finish my course. So it's pointless. 

The funny part is they have reserved room for exchange students for 1-2 semester but they don't have reserved room for international students who will be studying for at least 2-3 years. If you are bringing your family along, they might have apartment for you and your family. You need to ask.

 So, I started to look for private room outside the university. 

This is a very good and helpful website, at least for me, to start with your accommodation. http://www.wg-gesucht.de/

WG is the short form for Wohngemeinschaft, which mean flat sharing. You can choose how many people you want to live in a flat and your budget per month, furnished or unfurnished, and other details in the website. Normally people who are looking for a flatmate, they will describe who they are, what kind of people they are looking for, details and photos for the flat and many more.

I started the room searching since June 2016 till September 2016 and I gave up because no reply and I was not in Germany. So, I decided to look again after I am physically in Germany. 

Tip#2: If you can't find a room before your arrival, look for a youth hostel which is cheaper than hotel or Airbnb, because you wouldn't know when you can get a private room and it's possible to take up to months until you get a room. The accommodation in Germany can be really expensive, depends which city you are living.

The reason I gave up looking for room is because the potential future flatmates require interview and I was still back in Malaysia. It's a good news if you are called for but remember that you are not the only one. Normally they will call for a few before making a decision.

I stayed in the hostel for 2 weeks before I managed to get a room. I considered myself very lucky.

So, how to increase your chance for getting an interview? 

Tip#3: If you are already in Germany, obviously the chance will be higher because you are able to go for the interview.

Tip#4: You need to write an email to describe yourself. Not briefly but as details as you can. Your name, age, gender, where you come from, how long are you staying for your study, which course, your personalities, your hobbies and what languages you are able to converse.

This is very crucial because you don't know them and they don't know you. You are stranger to them and they are strangers to you. So this email will speak for you. So if they like your email, higher chances you will be short listed for the interview.

Try to imagine that you guys have to live under the same roof and I can understand it is easy to compromise when you are desperately looking for a room. But try not to because from my personal experience, shifting stuff can be a huge project if you have furniture.

Tip#5: If your email is in both English and German, might have higher chance. This is a tip given by a German lady whom I met in hostel. Basically if you meet students in the hostel, they are in the same boat as you, still looking for a room. 

Tip#6: Some will put their mobile contact number in the website. You can try to contact them through Whatsapp. But for me, it doesn't work at all.

I sent more than 20 emails per day. So for me, my statistic: more than 60% no replies, 30% replied but they already found someone. less than 10% replied and asking for interview. So it's a 50 50 for me, either got the interview or no.

If you are called for an interview, Congratulation! You are half way there. Happy and worried at the same time because you will try to imagine who you will meet, what kind of questions will be asked, how's the living conditions and etc.

I would say don't worry too much for the interview, it's just they will invite you to their flat and have a small chat around 1 hour, more or less. Just try to know each others.

Then how can you prepare for the interview?

Tip#7: Be punctual for the appointment time. Look for the location before hand. It's not good to be late on the first meeting. It gives bad impression unless you have solid reason.

Tip#8: Be friendly, honest, try not to be shy and open up yourself for self introduction. 99% you will be asked what are your hobbies. So prepare for this.

After the interview, should you stop the searching for room?

My answer is NO! After the interview, doesn't mean you already get the room. 

Tip#9: So, continue your search while waiting for reply. The moment you can stop the search is when you sign the rental contract and get the key. Another tip given by one of the tenants.

So wish you all the best if you are looking for a room. Don't feel discourage. You will find one eventually.








No comments:

Post a Comment